Sunday, January 15, 2006

Waxing & Waning

My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But, ah, my foes, and, oh, my friends
-it gives a lovely light.

Edna St. Vincent Millay "First Fig"


I know this is about the intense first flush of love & all that stuff 'n nonsense, but today I choose to interpret it as living hard & fast until you crash your private jet, or OD on Sunset Boulevard. Kathryn came to visit, God bless her, & that's exactly what we've been doing the last 3 days. Sheesh, as much as I love having visitors - I also kinda love it when they go home again. I'm exhausted.

There's nothing quite like an old friend though is there? It always amazes me how my bestest galpals & I can just pick up where we left off... absolutely, totally, not-so-soberly. I haven't seen Kath, or been in regular email contact with her, for about 3 years now but 5 seconds off the train & words were tripping over hugs, & sentences had already given way to juvenile shorthand. Of course the very 1st thing we did was knock the tops off a couple of beers... & a bottle of red... & the Christmas champagne & talk until my neighbours started pummelling the walls (to be fair, my Danish neighbours never keep me up at night with their animated conversations; yes sir-ee, no animated conversations there...) - we cried, we laughed, we squealed at pitches only canines could hear.

The magnificent woman even put up with a 5 hour round trip on sluggish DSB trains to 'ostensibly' visit Scandinavia's oldest town - but really just so I could bat my eyelashes at my gorgeous Frenchman one last time *sigh*. Anyway it was heaven & truly goes to prove I am a most excellent selector of friends - well except for Melinda Elliott in grade 9 - that was a bad call.

0 Constructive Critisisms:

Post a Comment

<< Home