Friday, January 20, 2006

God loves you

Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump.

I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me."
I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?" He said, "Yes."
I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian."
I said, "Me too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant."
I said, "Me too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist."
I said, "Me too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist."
I said, "Me too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist."
I said, "Me too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region."
I said, "Me too!" Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912."

I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.

George Carlin

I guess I've been pretty lucky or sheltered or whatever, but I've never really been persecuted because of my religion. Not that I'm particuarly religious (just ask my mother), but maybe just enough to attract scorn or derision should someone choose to take exception to my particular 'brand' of beliefs. That's why this year has been a little strange. It's not that I'm being attacked, but I find the church to which I subscribe being regularly ridiculed or winding up the butt of a varitable canon of malicious jokes. It's an eye opening experience.

Don't really care enough about the people making these comments to argue with them, nor is my faith of that variety which feels the need to vocally defend itself against any & all opposition - more of a 'live & let live' kinda sista - but I do find myself judging them pretty harshly. It's not because they disagree with me on theological matters (heaven knows I think there are so many different & individual notions of spirituality, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who had exactly the same convictions as you), but more for their closed, insensitive & dismissive treatment of other people's spiritual choices. If you ask me, that's just sinfully ignorant.

2 Constructive Critisisms:

Blogger Youssef Elmasri came back with...

Hey! I had that joke posted on my blog a while ago. See, we have something in common. Will you marry me?! LOL

3:47 pm  
Blogger The Brown Pie Piece came back with...

Sure. I think I'm free the Saturday after next. ;-)

p.s. went back & found your post - might have to drop by a little more often...

4:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home